Learn how to carry out basic safety checks, mend a puncture, adjust and replace brake blocks and cables, and adjust gears. Bikes and equipment are provided.
Session 1 Safety check, clean and lubricate
• Check your bike to find out what needs adjusting and tighten some nuts and bolts on the way
• How tight is tight?
• Are you sitting comfortably? Make sure your saddle is at the correct height
• I’ll name that part in one – what are the bits on your bike called
• Identify that scraping sound
• Keeping it clean – learn how to keep your bike clean and correctly lubricated
• Under pressure – how to make sure that your tyres are correctly inflated
Session 2 Wheel, tyre and tube removal. Mending a puncture
• Rear wheel removal
• Quick release skewers and how they work
• Feeling tyred? How to get that tyre off and on again
• What caused it? How to find out how you got the puncture
• Mending a puncture
• Refitting the wheel
Session 3 Brake adjustment cables and blocks
• Stop in the name of love
• Why aren’t those brakes working?
• Cleaning and lubricating cables
• Indentifying your brakes and buying the right parts.
• Changing a brake cable
• Changing brake blocks
• Setting up your brakes correctly
Session 4 Gear adjustment
• How a derailleur works
• What do those little screws do?
• Setting up gears
• Checking compatibility
• Changing a gear cable
• Gear hangers
Bradford - BikeRight Workshop
We’re around a 15 minute walk from Bradford Interchange and Bradford Forster Square Train Station. Our workshop is at Accent Business Centre on Barkerend Rd, we are based half way down the site on the left hand side in an industrual unit - opposite the entrance to the site is 'S H Dad Solicitors' it has a purple shop front and is a good landmark to lookout for. When on Barkerend Road heading away from the city centre, please note that if you have made it to the handcar wash or roundabout then you have gone too far.
Sat 22 Jun 2019, 10:00-16:00
Live, work or study in West Yorkshire Combined Authority